Wednesday, December 28, 2016

My Journey

All my life I have struggled with my weight.  I tried many "so called diets".   I tried the cabbage diet, the 3 day diet,  I took diet pills and I even came down to starving myself just so I could lose some weight.    Of course it worked at the time but as soon as I went back to eating normal I gained it all back plus more.   


It was in my early twenties when I reached my heaviest weight.  At 5"3 I weighed almost 170 pounds.   I couldn't fit in any of my clothes anymore.  I was embarrassed by the way I looked to the point where I didn't even want to leave the house.   I became very depressed.   I decided I needed to get serious and commit myself to losing weight so I joined Weight Watchers Online.  While on Weight Watchers I did lose 20 pounds but I was limiting myself to certain foods and I didn't want to have to be on the program for the rest of my life.  I did that for awhile and decided to try it again on my own.


I was able to maintain the weight but I felt that I still had more to lose.   About two years ago I decided to join a Zumba class which I absolutely loved.  I enjoyed going and I felt like I was doing something.  However, I came to quickly realize that working out was just not enough.   I took two classes a week but I wasn't seeing any changes.  I wasn't gaining any weight but I also was not losing.

 About six months ago I decided it was time to make a real change, a permanent change and that is when I changed my eating habits.   I am actually eating more food now than I ever have, but it's the right food.   I have added a lot of vegetables and fruits and healthy proteins to my diet and I am always satisfied.  I never feel hungry.    Now do I stick to just healthy food 100% of the time?  No.  I do have my occasional not so healthy food but in moderation.    I have not given up anything.  I still eat my favorites bread, cheese and pasta but I either find healthy alternatives or I have it in moderation.  I 've been following this diet, well let's not call it a diet,   this lifestyle change for almost 6 months and I have lost 30 pounds.   I am the lightest I have ever been in my adult life and I couldn't feel better!   I finally found something that works for me.  I don't feel like I am missing out on anything because if I want it I have it but just a little bit.  This lifestyle change I can stick to for the rest of my life.

I enjoy this lifestyle so much that I want to share it all with you.   Who says eating healthy is hard or that you can't eat delicious meals.  On this blog I will take you on my journey.  I will share some of my favorite recipes and tips and you too will be surprised how easy it can be.   

Just to give an idea of the changes I made I will share this embarrassing picture of myself.
The picture on the left was taken a year ago and the picture on the right is most recent.  I never really realized how much of a difference there was until I flipped through old photo's.  Looking at these pictures encourage me to continue on this journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment